Christ Church. Heaton Norris, was built by Manchester architect William Hayley in 1846 and consisted of a nave, aisles, transepts, chancel and west tower and spire, constructed in coursed sandstone in a developed Early English style.
By the early 1970s the church was in a very poor condition with rampant dry rot and a decaying roof. Efforts to convert all or part of the church for community and cultural use were unsuccessful and, following its gutting by fire in 1977, it was demolished except for the tower and spire – notable as a local landmark – and a short length of the north and south nave walls. The plan of the rest of the church has been preserved by the retention of the lowest courses of masonry.
All the fittings, glass, furnishings etc appear to have been stolen or perished in the fire. The five clock bells by Warner (1896) were stolen in 1977. The tower itself is of four stages and is surmounted by a tall, slender spire. The best views of it are probably to be had from Stockport Station.
It was vested in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust in May 1979.
A contribution to the CDPB theme day The beauty of decay.