Sunday, 3 August 2014
Shadows in St Peter's Square
St Peter's Church was built as a chapel at ease, at the behest of William Wright, in red brick with slate roof and round-headed windows to the nave. The west tower rises to an octagonal belfry with clock face. The chancel was added in 1888.
William Wright was Lord of the Manor of Offerton and Mottram St Andrew. His town house in Stockport was the Mansion House on High Street and St Petersgate was constructed by him as a convenient route between his house and his church.
It was consecrated on 31st May 1768 by Bishop Edmund Keene. In 1861 St Peter's became an "Ecclesiastical District", only becoming a fully fledged Parish in 1968. In 1985 the Parish became a United Benefice with St Thomas.
In recent years the space to the south and west of the church has been landscaped and now the trees cast shadows across the path to the church.
A contribution to
Shadow Shot Sunday;