Saturday, 10 May 2014
1a Mealhouse Brow consists of a single-storey range towards the Market Place and the adjacent basement and lower basement of No. 8 Market Place.
The upper rooms of this part were used for meetings of the town's manorial court leet, and incorporates two small chambers used as lock-ups.
The lower basement incorporates two separate chambers used for confinement until 1790 when a new prison was built.
The dungeon is occasionally open for visits courtesy of the Stockport Heritage Trust.
A fuller streetscape view can be seen on Geograph.
A contribution to The Weekend in Black and White.