Sunday, 7 July 2013
Stockport Baptist Church
Greek Street Baptist Chapel was built in a Romanesque style around 1869 with a capacity to seat 800 people. It was the largest Baptist church in Greater Manchester, and stood in the centre of a busy residential area.
By the 1970s, however, Greek Street Chapel was no longer viable financially, requiring large amounts of maintenance, and was demolished in 1978. It is because of this building that the church is still known as Greek Street Baptist Church by many people in Stockport, even though the present church building is behind Greek Street on Thomson Street.
The present church building was originally the church hall or Sunday school. It was newly refurbished in 2003/4.
Church website: http://www.stockportbaptist.org/.
A contribution to Inspired Sundays.